24 HOUR HOTLINE (808) 524-7273
Enable Recite

Child Sexual Abuse by a Household Member

Child abuse or neglect is defined in Chapter 350/Hawai'i Revised Statutes as:

"The acts or omissions of any person who, or legal entity which, is in any manner or degree related to the child, is residing with the child, or is otherwise responsible for the child's care, that have resulted in the physical or psychological health or welfare of the child, who is under the age of 18, to be harmed, or to be subject to any foreseeable, substantial risk of being harmed."

Making a report

If abuse or neglect of a child is suspected, call the Department of Human Services, Social Services Division, Child Welfare Services (CWS) at the following numbers:

  • On Oahu: 808-832-5300 (24-hours a day)
  • On the Neighbor Islands: 1-888-380-3088 (24-hours a day/toll free)


Known and Trusted Perpetrator

More than 90% of juvenile sexual abuse victims know their perpetrator.


Long–Term Consequences of Child Abuse and Neglect. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Common questions about reporting to Child Welfare Services 

(A Guide for Mandated Reporters, Department of Human Services, 2015)

Q: What if I'm not sure about reporting?

Talk with the Department of Human Services regarding your concerns. You don’t need to prove that abuse or neglect has occurred before making a report. If the child has shared information with you about the abuse or neglect, this is enough for you to call.

Q: What happens following my report?

If the report is accepted for investigation, a CWS worker will be assigned to determine if the child has been harmed or is at risk of harm. They will gather as much information as possible by talking to the child, family members, and others in the community. Within 60-days of the date the report is assigned for investigation, a decision must be made whether the report is confirmed or not. You’ll be contacted about the outcome.

Q: Will the police get involved?

A report of suspected or substantial risk of child abuse or neglect must be made to CWS or the police. Depending on the circumstances and harm to the child, the police may become involved, whether at the request of the department or by a determination that immediate action must be taken or an investigation must be conducted.

Q: Will the family find out who made the report?

The Department makes every reasonable effort to maintain the confidentiality of someone who reports an offense who requests that his or her name not be released. Anyone reporting in good faith is immune from liability.

Hotline Services
If you, a friend, or a family member has been sexually assaulted, call us for help. Trained SATC crisis workers are on duty 24 hours a day and 7 days a week to provide confidential support, information, and advocacy.
Medical Care
Medical care following a sexual assault is important even if you have no visible injuries. Medical Care is available to adults and minors, females and males.
Crisis Counseling
A sexual assault can be a devastating physical and emotional experience. Dealing with the trauma of a sexual assault can be difficult as many emotions arise.
Clinical Therapy
The SATC provides individual and family therapy, victim support services, and legal systems advocacy for children, adolescents, and adults. We have experienced professional therapists to help with your healing.