24 HOUR HOTLINE (808) 524-7273
Enable Recite

Just for Teens

If you’re under 18 and have been a victim of sexual assault, know that you’re not alone and that there are people who can help. Call the Sex Abuse Treatment Center's (SATC) 24-hour hotline at (808) 524-7273 or use our web chat (Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., excluding holidays) for questions, support and help.

If I tell a teacher, doctor, or school counselor that I have been sexually assaulted, will they call the police?

If you are under 18 years of age and you tell a doctor, nurse, school counselor, teacher, or other professional that you have been sexually assaulted by a family member or someone who has care-giving responsibilities for you, that person is required by law to notify the police and Child Welfare Services. These laws aim to protect children and adolescents and make sure that young people who are being abused get the help they need. If you are sexually assaulted by a non-family member, teachers, and school counselors have to follow their school policies about reporting. This may differ from school to school. Doctors usually make their own decision whether to report assaults that involve non-family members or caretakers.

What if I don't want the police to know what happened or I'm not sure what will happen if I do report to the police?

You can call the SATC hotline at 524-7273 and talk with a crisis counselor without giving your name. A call to the SATC hotline is anonymous, as long as you don’t tell the crisis counselor your name or your telephone number. The crisis counselor can explain what will happen if the police are contacted and help you think through this decision. Crisis counselors can also arrange to be with you when you talk with the police.

If I report the crime to the police, will they tell my parents?

Depending on the type of assault you experienced, your age, and other factors, the police are sometimes able to take a report from you without telling your parents. In other situations, the police or child protective services may need to inform your parents.

Can I get medical and evidence collection services or counseling without my parents' consent?

If you’ve been sexually assaulted and are at least 14 years old, you can go to the Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women & Children and receive medical care, evidence collection, and crisis counseling for a sexual assault without parental consent.

A call to the SATC hotline or use of our web chat is anonymous, as long as you don't tell the crisis worker your name or telephone number.

Therapy for teens

The SATC offers individual, group, and family therapy, victim support services, and legal systems advocacy for adolescents who have been sexually assaulted. For more information, see the therapy overview.

Hotline Services
If you, a friend, or a family member has been sexually assaulted, call us for help. Trained SATC crisis workers are on duty 24 hours a day and 7 days a week to provide confidential support, information, and advocacy.
Medical Care
Medical care following a sexual assault is important even if you have no visible injuries. Medical Care is available to adults and minors, females and males.
Crisis Counseling
A sexual assault can be a devastating physical and emotional experience. Dealing with the trauma of a sexual assault can be difficult as many emotions arise.
Clinical Therapy
The SATC provides individual and family therapy, victim support services, and legal systems advocacy for children, adolescents, and adults. We have experienced professional therapists to help with your healing.